The great thing about holidays is the transformation of the ordinary. Christmas pageants transform ordinary folks into Bethlehem villagers.
Lights transform homes into dazzling displays.
Butter, flour and powdered sugar are transformed into something delectable (and even thematic).
It is a time of transformation after all, especially for Christians who celebrate the incarnation of God through the birth of Jesus.
Over the years, I’ve collected photos of the various ways people around the world decorate and celebrate from Ethiopia to England.
So I was especially pleased to see in my inbox today, these holiday-themed photos from hotels in the U.S.A. who are turning the ordinary into the festive. For example, the block-long lobby of the Roosevelt Hotel in New Orleans is illuminated by thousands of tiny white lights and silver decked trees.
Look, but don’t eat because this creation will transform the numbers you see when you get on the scale. Executive Pastry Chef Adam Thomas estimated his creation contained about 3.7 million calories.
From Annecy, France where I enjoyed the Christmas Market a few days ago, to a tiny pub in Geneva with a dancing Santa on the bar, to where ever you are, best of the holidays to you.
- Passenger On Fatal East River Helicopter Crash May Have Triggered Disaster Sole Survivor Says - March 13, 2018
- The Globalization of Shopping, Chilean Style - March 8, 2018
- Supporters of Trump’s Pilot for FAA Defend Choice Say Agency is Expendable - March 2, 2018
- Times Have Changed: Breitling Stops Ads That Objectify Women - February 13, 2018
- A Saturday in Santiago With the City’s Economic Energy On Full Display - February 12, 2018
- More Thrills Than Just the Great Barrier Reef, As Bats Take to the Skies in Cairns - February 4, 2018
- Private Jets and Physicians; A Photo Story of Generosity in Puerto Rico - January 12, 2018
- Hard hits and Close Calls Characterize Aviation in 2017 - December 29, 2017
- In Bend, Oregon Stone Sculptures Go Flying Out of Creator’s Yard - December 27, 2017
- Around the World, the Holiday Season Transforms With Sugar, Lights and Love - December 12, 2017